What Happens if You Swim in a Shocked Pool?
Summer is here, and that means it’s time to take a dip in the pool! Swimming is a great way to cool off on hot days and can be a good exercise as well. But if you’re like me, you might be wondering: “Is it safe to swim in a shocked pool?” The answer is yes…and no. That’s right—there are some people who will be fine swimming in a shocked pool, but others should not risk it. Let’s break down what happens if you swim in a shocked pool…
1. You could become itchy and red
If you swim in a shocked pool, you could develop a rash. Rashes can be itchy and uncomfortable, but they’re not usually dangerous. They can appear on different parts of your body, your face or neck; arms or legs; back–and may look red or pink (or even white). A raised rash is raised above normal skin level; flat rashes won’t raise up at all. Dry rashes are dry-looking when touched with fingers; oozing fluid from the surface of an oozing rash is what makes them oozy.
2. Your eyes could become bloodshot
If you swim in a shocked pool, your eyes may become bloodshot and burn a little as you breathe in and out. They could also become itchy or red, or swell up slightly.
3. Your throat could feel irritated and scratchy
If you swim in a shocked pool, your throat may feel irritated and scratchy. This is due to chlorine gas exposure and can be temporary. If you experience this side effect of swimming in a shocked pool, it’s best to get out of the water immediately and seek medical attention if necessary.
If you’re feeling nauseous after swimming in a shocked pool (or any other body of water), it’s important that you don’t drink anything until after vomiting occurs because drinking while nauseous can cause aspiration pneumonia–a serious condition where fluids enter your lungs through the mouth instead of going down the esophagus as intended.
4. Your nostrils may burn a little as you breathe air in and out
If you have asthma, the shock could trigger an asthma attack.
When your skin is sensitive and/or prone to allergies, it’s possible that swimming in a shocked pool will cause irritation.
If you have respiratory issues like COPD or emphysema, it’s especially important not to swim in a shocked pool because the increased humidity can make breathing more difficult.
5. You may break out into a rash
If you swim in a shocked pool, your skin may break out into a rash. This can be caused by the chlorine and other chemicals in the water.
If you develop a rash after swimming at your local swimming pool, see your doctor.
6. You might experience more of an issue if you have sensitive skin or asthma
If you have sensitive skin or asthma, swimming in a pool that has been shocked may be more of an issue for you than it would be for someone with normal skin and no respiratory problems. In this case, it’s best to avoid swimming in shocked pools until your symptoms subside.
If you’ve had any kind of reaction from swimming in a chlorinated pool before (like rashes or difficulty breathing), then it’s important that you take extra precautions when entering any new water. If possible, ask about how long ago the chlorine was added; if there’s been time for the amount of chlorine present to decrease significantly since being added (about half an hour), then it should be safe enough to enter without worrying too much about these side effects showing up again.
7. If you have lung issues, it’s even more important to avoid swimming in a shocked pool
If you have lung issues, it’s even more important to avoid swimming in a shocked pool. While the risk of getting an asthma attack is low, it’s still possible. Some people who are sensitive to chlorine might notice their breathing get worse after swimming in a shocked pool than they would otherwise–even if they don’t have asthma or other lung problems.
If you do have asthma and want to swim at all, make sure that the person who runs your local pool knows about your condition so they can take extra precautions when keeping their water clean and safe for swimmers like you!
Don’t swim in a shocked pool!
If you do, you’ll get shocked and it will hurt. The water may also feel cold, because the chlorine has been removed. That’s why it’s important not to swim in a shocked pool.
Wrap Up: What Happens if You Swim in a Shocked Pool?
If you have lung issues or sensitive skin, it’s important to avoid swimming in a shocked pool. You may also want to consider avoiding shock treatment if you’re pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant soon (although there are no studies yet that show any link between shock treatment and birth defects). If none of these factors apply to you, then go ahead and enjoy yourself!
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.